We’re Geoff Abraham and Dane Hurtubise, co-founders of Spoken. We took our shared passion for challenging experiences, a dash of our stubbornness, and a sprinkling of our vision to create a venture that’s far from ordinary. Our journey with Spoken has seen its fair share of setbacks and failures, but it is through navigating these rough waters that we’ve realized the true strength of resilience and the art of the strategic pivot.
How Spoken Turned Setbacks into Growth Opportunities
Spoken began in the realm of uncertainty. One particular setback was the arrival of Geoff’s first child. This life-altering event coincided with a realization – our initial idea for Spoken wasn’t working. Here’s how we transformed adversity into a growth opportunity:
- The Pivot: We realized that the impending arrival of Geoff’s first child and the stagnant progress of our original idea signaled a time for change. It led us to rethink, replan, and re-strategize, ultimately pivoting to our current, more fruitful idea for Spoken.
- Developing a Resilience Mindset: Each setback, including the initial failure of our concept, taught us to perceive obstacles as opportunities, fostering a resilient mindset.
- Leveraging Feedback: We harnessed constructive criticism from early users and stakeholders, adapting our service based on their feedback.
3 Strategies for Resilience During Difficult Periods
Like any startup, Spoken faced its fair share of challenging times. From periods of economic downturns to shifts in market dynamics, resilience was our lifeline. Here’s how we navigated these tough periods:
- Strong Support Network: We leaned on our support networks, drawing strength and encouragement from friends, family, and fellow entrepreneurs.
- Mental Fitness: Mindfulness exercises and maintaining a healthy lifestyle helped us manage stress and keep our focus sharp.
- Lifelong Learning: We leveraged each difficult phase as a learning opportunity, acquiring new skills and gaining valuable knowledge to navigate future challenges more efficiently.
Overcoming Self-Doubt and Building Confidence as Entrepreneurs
Doubt and fear are often unwelcome, yet frequent, companions on the entrepreneurial journey. At several points, we questioned our decisions, ideas, and abilities. Here’s how we managed self-doubt and built our confidence:
- Embracing Failure: We acknowledged that failure is a part of the journey, not the end of it. This perspective helped us overcome fear and continue moving forward.
- Celebrating Wins: We celebrated small victories along the way, boosting our morale and reinforcing our faith in our capabilities.
- Mutual Support: We supported each other during times of self-doubt. Trust and support are the pillars of our partnership and played a key role in overcoming self-doubt.
Resilience is a Powerful Trait for Entrepreneurs
Our entrepreneurial journey, filled with setbacks and victories, taught us the essence of resilience. Embracing change, learning from adversity, and overcoming self-doubt have been integral to our growth and success with Spoken. Remember, every stumble is a step forward, as long as you pick yourself up and keep going.